The information on this page is provided as a service to the motoring public and should not be considered legal advice.
- The first thing you need to do is make sure everyone is all right and call for help if anyone needs it. Always call 911 if there are injuries.
- You are required by Texas law to move your vehicle off the roadway if it is drivable. Park it in a safe area out of the way of oncoming traffic. (Note: In some states it is illegal to move a vehicle from the site of an accident. Know the laws for your area before you move your vehicle.)
- Turn off the ignition of all vehicles involved in the accident.
- Call the police, even if the damage appears to be minor. Be sure to get all important information such as names, drivers license numbers, insurance information, telephone numbers, etc. Get the name and number of any witnesses to the accident.
- If you do not call the police, you are required to file a police report within 10 days if there are any injuries or if property damage exceeds $1,000 for any one person. Many accidents fall into this category. Protect your rights--always file a report.
- Do not leave the scene until all matters have been taken care of. Give only the necessary information to the police or to the other parties involved.
- If your vehicle needs to be towed, call Leif Johnson Collision Center at (512) 381-0455 from 7:30 AM to 5:30 PM, Monday through Friday and 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM, Saturday. After hours, call our wrecker service at (512) 454-0042, and ask them to tow your vehicle to Leif Johnson Collision Center. Never drive a car that may be unsafe due to collision damage.
- If a police officer insists on using a wrecker at the scene, know where your car is being taken. Get a card from the tow truck driver or write down the driver's name, towing service name, and phone number. Ask if they can tow it to Leif Johnson Collision Center at 3301 S IH 35, Round Rock, Texas, 78664. Even if there is an extra charge, this will usually be less expensive than paying storage charges and having it towed to us later.
- Remove all valuables from your vehicle before it is towed away, and take your insurance information with you.
- Call your insurance agent to report the accident. They will provide you with instructions on how to proceed with your claim. If the other party is at fault, also call their insurance company.
- Get an estimate from the collision repair center of your choice. Remember that hidden damage may not be evident until after tear down.
- Don't authorize any repairs until the insurance company agrees to pay for the repairs. The shop must have your permission before beginning repairs.
- Choose your repair shop carefully. Improperly repaired collision damage can decrease the value of your vehicle and make trading it more difficult when buy a new car. Call Leif Johnson Collision Center if you have any questions.